Merrell Trail Glove Shoe Knit Vapor J12656 Women Size 8
As a pastor’s daughter and granddaughter, I know church. Many people have visited a church on a Sunday morning for worship or maybe even on Wednesday evening for Bible Study. But during those other days of the week, other business is going on, trust and believe that. And many times, a church is struggling with growing its membership, developing a strong church and putting in place visionary leadership. When my father retired as the pastor of my church after 38 years in 2017, our church has been in this place because we’re in a new phase of the church. So when I got the chance to interview Pastor Olu Brown, I was excited to do so. Below is his bio.
Olujimi (Olu) Brown is the father of Daya Elom Brown and Langston Wesley Brown. Olu is a native of Lufkin, Texas. He graduated from Jarvis Christian College in Hawkins, Texas and earned a Master of Divinity degree from Gammon Theological Seminary of the Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta, Georgia.
He serves as the Lead Pastor of Impact Church, a young congregation in the East Point community of Metropolitan Atlanta (impactdcd.org). With Olu’s vision and leadership, since its founding in 2007, Impact has grown from a core team of 25 people to more than 2,400 attendees each Sunday in person and 1,600 online with a $4M budget, and listed at number 5 in the 25 Fastest Growing Large United Methodists Churches, 2018 Edition.
Olu strongly believes in an active church, one that makes a meaningful impact in the lives of individuals and communities. Impact is a multicultural community committed to Doing Church Differently™. Impact DCD redefines the church experience through inclusiveness, relatable messages, energetic weekly gatherings, unique events and activities, relevant youth programs and community outreach. The people of Impact are compelled to help bring healing, justice and compassion to the world.
Pastor Brown wrote about church management and leadership in his latest books Puma Basket Platform Metallic White Rose Gold Womens Size 8.5 366169-03 Sneakerand Leadership Directions from Moses: On the Way to a Promised Land. Below is my interview with him about these books.
1. Why did you feel the need to write “4D Impact: Smash Barriers Like a Smart Church?” Were you approached to write this book?
- Gentlemen/Ladies STARDUST-1020-7 New market Known for its good quality Very good classification
- TORY BURCH MAUREEN RAIN BOOT NAVY BRAND NEW IN THE BOX SIZE 8
- Merrell Women's Chateau Tall Pull Waterproof Snow Boot, Dusty Olive, 6 M US
- LUDWIG REITER "MARONIBRATER" FUR LINING BLACK/BROWN LEATHER RIDING BOOT -
- shoes motorcycle scooter Tcx X-groove gtx goretex winter autumn winter fall
- British Mens Wingtip Carved Formal Brogues Real Leather Dress Flat Wedding Shoes
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star XX-Hi Womens Canvas Zipper Shoes Size 8 Black
- Nike Women's Air Max 1 Essential Size 7-9 Wolf Grey/White New in Box 599820 024
- Propet Women Washable Walker W3840 - Diabetic Walking Shoes
- Nike Air Max 1 Premium Women's Sz 8.5 Shoe 454746 010 SUEDE FUR BLACK ACTION RED
- ADIDAS ADISTAR RIDE 2 36.5 37 NEW adizero glide supernova solar snova boost
- Ted Baker Kulei Lurex Womens Silver Leather & Synthetic Trainers
- Men's/Women's ECCO Women's Soft 7 Quilted Tie Quality queen Used in durability Very good classification
- Rome SDS Womens 2011 Memphis Snowboard Winter Boots Black Aqua Size 7 New
- Ladies Punk Gothic Vogue Cosplay Platform Chunky High Heel Ankle Boots Shoes Hot
- NIB Mally DUSTY Studded Vaccheta Leather Ankle Motorcycle Boots 40 10 M Black
- Womens Pull on Oxfords Low Block Heel tassel Fringe Thigh Long Boots Over Knee
- Vince Ruth Block Heel Bootie Grey US 7
- Puma Mega NRGY Wns White Black Women Running Shoes Sneakers 190369-04
- Tamaris Furcrea Black Ankle Boots Size NH02 29
- Man's/Woman's Pleaser AMUSE-2018 elegant Affordable A balance between toughness and hardness
- les p'tites bombes ballerines DORIA Argent P38 neuves Aut/Hiv 2018/2019
- AGL Rouge-Ginger Suede Ladies Ballet Flats, Size 34.5, NIB
- Ariat Women's Sport Mule Black Deertan 8 B / Medium(Width)
- Womens Platform High Wedge Heels Rivet Creepers Faux Leather Shoes Slip On hot
- Salvatore Ferragamo Black Sparkle Textile Round Toe Pumps Heels Women's 7.5 4A
- bebe TESSA BAROQUE PUMPS BURGUNDY/GOLD SIZE 7.5
- colin stuart pump side cut out new 7 poppy
- GUESS Womens kenzie2 Open Toe Ankle Strap Classic Pumps Blush Suede Size 7.5 e
- BRUNO MAGLI Womens Pumps Size 5.5B Pink Suede Leather Italy Ridged Heels Pt Toe
- GORGEOUS COUTURE LEATHER TRASK ANKLE PONY HAIR STRAP CHUNKY HEE SHOE
- Prada Calzature Donna Beige Size 39 Ankle Strap New
- SANUK WOMENS DONNA GEO STRIPES BLACK TAN GEO STRIPES 1020251 BTGS SIZE 6
- NEW BASS Siobhan Womens Shoes Platforms Sandals US 9.5
- JIMMY CHOO Praise patent leather wedges sandals shoes Size 38 US 8
- AIR JORDAN 3 III RETRO- GS BG SZ 6Y WOOL DARK GREY- 861427 004
- NEW Nike Speed Air - Black Cleats (Men's 9)
- Nike Men's Roshe Run Running Shoes (511881 112)
- AIR JORDAN TRUNNER LX SZ 9.5 TRAINING SHOES TRIPLE BLACK OG 897992 020
- Unstitched Utilities Men's Next Day Mid Navy Sneakers
- Nike Air Jordan (2) II Low "Red October" Gym Red; 832819 606 Sz 11.
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE OG 2013 QS US 10.5 WHITE ROYAL BLUE PINK 318429-146
- Reebok Daytona Dmx Shoes White Men CN3809
- reebok ventilator supreme Cam BS7004 Pink BRAND NEW SIZE 6.5
- Stacy Adams Men's ALAIRE WINGTIP OXFORD Indigo Leather Shoes 25128-401
- Men's/Women's Skechers Men's Holdren Brenton Chukka Boot Every item described is available real Highly appreciated and widely trusted in and out
- New Balance Fresh Foam Lazr Luxe Unisex Running Shoes Silver Mink/Tan ULAZRLN
- Marc Joseph New York Men's Broadway Loafer - ASH GREY GRAINY - Size 10.5
- Dr. Scholl's Shoes Men's Hans Work Boot, Black, 10 M US
- Stacy Adams Mens CICERO PERFED MOC TOE SLIP ON Misty Rose Dress/Casual 25172-665
- Salvatore Ferragamo Brown Pebbled Leather Oxfords Shoes Men US 10.5 D Italy
- Converse All Star Chuck Taylor Silver Sequin Shoes Size W13/ M11 NEW
- ASICS Women's GT-2000 5 Running Shoe, Pink Glow/White/Dark Purple, 6 M US
- NIB Nike Free TR Flyknit 3 LM Womens Training Shoes Sneakers Size 9 Pink
- Reebok Women's Astroride Future Black/Ash Grey/White Running Shoes CM8732 NEW!
- Nike Women’s Air Max Jewell, Light Bone/Dust White, 11M US
- bbb CHAUSSURES SNEAKERS HOGAN T F 40 I 39 US 8 NEUF
- Ariat Women's Heritage Roughstock 11" Antique Brown Full Grain Leather
- VINTAGE Bottes COX Tout Cuir Marron T 38.5 BE
- $356 Bikkembergs BKE 106329 Boots Tdm Women's 8
- Blondo Waterproof Valli Suede Block Zip Ankle Mushroom Bootie Size 8 M $149
- 8" Black Leather Super High Platform Pleaser Stripper Dancer Heels Boots 6 7 8 9
- Womens Vintage Genuine Leather Tassels Ankle Boots Motorcycle Punk Biker Shoes
- Tommy Hilfiger Womens Safire Ankle Boot- Pick SZ/Color.
- Paul Green Ellery Pointed Toe Leather Stretch Knee High Boot Black Size 10.5 US
- Luxury Women Winter Plush Black Real Fox Fur Boot Long Bootleg Fashion Fur Shoes
- Mr/Ms NEW LORETTA PETTINARI WOMENS BOOTS Year-end special promotions buy Strong heat and heat resistance
- Adidas Originals F/1.3 Leather Men's Sneakers Casual Shoes Winter Shoes New
- Nike Air Jordan 11 Low GS Closing Ceremony Metallic Gold
- Man/Woman Ladies Rieker Slip On Shoes 41385 Attractive and durable Selected materials Various latest designs
- TS35 Regalo Rhinestone Mesh Dress Sandals, Pewter, 6 US
- CHARLES PHILIP SHANGHAI OLIMPIA Blue Black Skull Floral Designer Loafer Flat 7.5
- Fendi Flats Patent Leather Mini-Buckle Kitten Heel Black Size 36 $495
- Naot Women's Miro Mine Brown/Walnut /Wine Leather/Patent Combo Slip-on Shoes
- DR. SCHOLL'S MADISON SLIP ON SNEAKER WINE 8.5M
- Pleaser 4" Pointed-Toe Pump Adult Women High Heels Red Satin Shoes
- WOmen's High Heels Roma Stappy Stilettos Open toe Platform Sandals Zip Shoes
- RTBU SALMA 18cm Stiletto Heel Wrap Strap Sandals Slipper Metallic Blue
- new dressy LES TROPEZIENNES gold T-strap heels shoes 40 US 10
- CLARKS Women's Vendra Dune Wedge Pump - Choose SZ/Color
- Miu Miu suede peep toe platform pumps Size 8 |
- FENDI SELLERIA STRAPPY SANDALS HEELS SHOES BROWN 39 NEW IN BOX $410
- Women's Plus Size High Stiletto Heel Hollow Out Rhinestones Rivet Roman Sandals
- Women Wooden leather medical clogs White color PZM US Shoe Size
- Brand New Stuart Weitzman Sliderpearl Satin Slide Sandals Size 6.5
- ASICS Gel-Lyte V - Tan - Mens
- Skechers Larson Nerick Cross Training Men's Shoes
- Nike Impact Training White Mens Basketball Sneakers Mesh
- Nike Men Athletic Sneakers Running Shoes Air Max Sequent 3 Platinum 921694-008
- 2015 Air Jordan 7 "Marvin the martian's" size 11
- Nike Zoom Shift 2 Black/White Mens Low Basketball Shoes 2018 All NEW
- adidas Alphabounce Beyond Men's Night Cargo/Base Green/Tech Beige BW1247
- Adidas PORSCHE 911 2.0 waterproof WINTER Sneakers Mens SNOW Boots BY2111 black
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 11 RETRO LOW IE WHITE-GYM RED-BLACK SZ 13 [919712-101]
- Off-White x Nike Converse Chuck Taylor 70 Stripe Ready To Ship Virgil Abloh 10.5
- New Magnum Precision II Ultra Lite sz 8.5 Coffee Composite Toe Work Boot SC
- NEW Men adidas Originals Crestwood great discount Basketball Shoe SZ 10.5
- Man/Woman Men’s Thorocraft “Mercer” Navy size 43 Reasonable price Win highly appreciated Very practical
- NEW Allen Edmonds "EASTPORT" Boat Shoes 10.5 B Brown (524)
- New Dunham: by New Balance #MCT410SB 17 D brown (4901)
- New 1st Quality Allen Edmonds Presidio 11 B black
- Adidas Vlneo Hoops Mid W Women's Shoes
- $300 NIKE Air Max 95 EMPIRE women 6 NIKELAB Boot black shoe NWT
- Women's New Balance 247 Mesh Casual Shoes North Sea WRL247SQ 400
- 9D16 Asics Kayano 22 Running Training Cross Jogging Athletic Women Shoe Sz 7.5
- [BY9647] Womens Adidas NMD_R1 W Running Sneaker - Grey
- Salomon XA Fuster GTX ® Women's Running / Hiking Shoes 394675 18G
- Adidas Originals EQT Support ADV W [CQ2250] Women Casual Shoes White/Grey-Green
- Women Chunky Heels Patent Leather Ankle Boots Back Zip Shoes Zsell
- $139 JOAN BOYCE BLACK EMBELLISHED FAUX FUR WEDGE BOOTS SIZE 8 M - NEW
- Men's/Women's Steve Madden Women's Lonnny Riding Boot Comfortable feeling luxurious Popular tide shoes
- LUCCHESE BLACK LEATHER MADE IN USA COUNTRY WESTERN DANCE BOOTS SIZE 7 C
- Alexander McQueen luxury ankle boots in floral pattern Leather Size US 6 -
- Man/Woman BNWOT BLUNDSTONE STEELCAP BOOTS SIZE 39/6 High security New style Clearance sale
- Asics Women Shoes Gel-Nimbus 20 Road Running Training Walking Fashion T850N-001
- Chain Satin Mules Slip-On Flats Slippers Sandals Shoes Purple Green Pink Black
- Nina Neely Slingback Strappy Dress Sandals 921, Charcoal Glitter, 7 US / 37.5 EU
- Bella Vita Women's Baxter Mule
- Bottega Veneta Driver Moccasin Blue Intrecciato Suede Size 37.5 Slip-On Flat
- Bottines Boots JANIE PHILIP Paris Cuir Noir T 41 TBE
- BCBGirls Brown Leather Cowboy Western Boots Shoe 7.5 B / 37 1/2 Women
- Mr/Ms EXOTICA-1050 durable First quality Explosive good goods
- $398 Cole Haan Womens Womens Purple Leather Wedge Boots 8 B
- Womens Casual Fur Bead Trim Warm Round Toe Flat Popular Korean Loafers Shoes New
- PRADA RED PATENT LEATHER FLAT SHOES ROUND TOE LARGE FLAT Size 8 38
- Women's Sandals Stiletto High heel shoes Open toe Ankle Strap Match colour Suede
- MARC JACOBS Dark Bronze Brown Patent Leather Bow Low Heels Shoes Size 38.5
- Jessica Simpson EVANGELA Atlantic Blue Suede Strappy Platform Sandal, 6M - $110
- Bloch Women's Chord T-Bar Strap 2" Dance Shoe, Tan, Size 9.0
- Brian Atwood 100% Authentic black satin wedge sandals shoes 38
- Man's/Woman's Rachel Zoe Gold High Heel Sandals Excellent craft Optimal price Known for its excellent quality
- Womens Sequins Ankle Strap Sandals Shoes Open Toe Fashion Lady Wedding Shoes NEW
- Women Sam Edelman Erin Strappy Stilettos Size 8.5 Silver Sandals
- Lauren Ralph Women's Janis Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Converse x Missoni Women's Chuck Taylor All Star Hi in Egret Size 6-10 BNIB
- VANS OLD SKOOL BLACK/BLACK VN000D3HBKA MEN US SZ 7.5
- New Balance Men's XC5000v3 Spike Shoes Blue with Black
- New Balance 247 Sport Grey/Black MRL247SI Men's SZ 7.5
- Nike Zoom Stefan Janoski PREM HT Camo White/Black-White 854321-101 Men’s US 10.5
- NIKE FLYKNIT LUNAR 3 SZ: MNS 7 (698181 408)
- adidas X Pharrell Williams Tennis HU Dark Blue Shoes Mens Sz 10.5 US NEW! BY8719
- Men's Shoes * PORSCHE DESIGN-PORSCHE 64 * BY2989 * Black * VERY LIMITED STOCK !
- NikeLab Air Zoom All Out Flyknit Teal Blue Green 881679 300 Mens size 9.5 NEW
- Nike Lebron 11 'South Beach' Mens sz 10.5, 11 New!
- Mens Western Zebra Striped high Top Zipper Pointy Toe Ankle Boots Buckles Shoes
- Bruno Magli Mens Tristin Casual Dress Ankle Boots Blue Suede 8 NEW IN BOX
- MOMA Men's Shoes Ankle Boots 66702-R3 Pelle Leather Black Vintage Made Italy New
- Skechers 65346 Mens Relaxed Fit-Creston-Erie Moccasin- Choose SZ/Color.
- Rockport RocSports Lite Five Slip On Shoes - Men's Size 11W, Brown/Green
- Hugo Boss Arkansas Low Mens 50327365-021 Grey Mesh Knit Casual Shoes Size 8
- British Style Men's Zipper Pointy Toe Patent Leather Ankle boots Business Shoes
- Skechers Gratis In Motion Black Lightweight Fashion Sneakers Shoes Women's 8
- Puma Match Animal - Animal - Womens
- Gentleman/Lady Aldo Women's Oloasen Sneaker sell special promotion Shopping promotion
- CATHERINE PARRA BOTTINES DISCO CAMAIEU COULEUR BISON POINT. 38 NVES/BOITE
- Mr/Ms LIMI feu Women's Side gore boots SIZE:M Elegant shape Let our goods go to the world a lot of varieties
- Dan Post DP3739 Women's Nora Blue Rustic Leather Western Fashion Cowgirl Boots~
- Authentic NIB $1850 GIVENCHY Black Leather Chain Trim Pira Tall Boots sz 41
- Mens Army Tactical Shoes Low Top Swat Combat Boots Military Outdoor Hiking Shoes
- Nike Women's Air Max Motion Lw Training Shoe
- Kennel und Schmenger Women Hi-Top Trainers Grey Size 39
- Gentleman/Lady Gioseppo TIXAE Sandal - Off White Customer first comfortability high quality product
- Puma Platform Day Of The Dead FM - Black - Womens
- NIKE WMNS AIR HUARACHE RUN PRM PURE PLATINUM COOL GREY WHITE 683818 009 SZ 5
- ASH AS Virgin Stone Women's Multi Buckle Zip High Top Fashion Snakers Shoe New
- ASICS GEL-Nimbus 20 - Grey - Womens
- Black Winter Sexy Mid-Calf Boots Side Silver Button Size US 10//
- Frye Melissa Trapunto black antiqued leather boots. Size 6 1/2.
- Man/Woman Very G Cassidy VGLB0006 Taupe-7 main category Make full use of materials Pick up at the boutique
- Bella Vita Talina II Tall Harness Boots, Grey/Super Suede, 8.5 US
- Lanvin Womens Boots Size 38 8 Black Leather Booties Zipper Closure
I felt the need because in part I travel quite a bit and in traveling, I get an opportunity to meet different leaders and different pastors and I’m finding that although many have great educational backgrounds and have had great experiences in their local churches, the systems, people and culture changes so quickly that they’re not able to adapt to those changes fast enough. And so I wrote ‘4 D’ to say, ‘Hey, there are four critical areas in every church, wherever you happen to be, if you could focus on these areas, you could have a healthy, more vital, growing church.’ And those areas of course from the book are technology, worship, systems and hospitality, which on the surface sounds very easy, low-hanging fruit. But as you dig through that and apply it to your local church, it becomes some of the hardest but most rewarding work that you will ever do.
2. You recently hosted an online conference regarding the principles you shared in “4D Impact.” How did you teach the principles you learned in the one-hour conference?
It wasn’t designed to teach all of the principles in one hour. It was an introductory course. It was an introduction for people who may be skeptical, people who have heard these things before and they’re not quite sure and people who are totally sold out and they really want to tell their leaders, ‘Here is what I’ve been talking about. Here is someone else saying it.’
3. In this book, you share stories of success and failure from Impact Church’s ongoing journey. Tell me about one success and one failure and what you learned?
One story of success is beginning around literal coffee tables in Starbucks with a group of volunteers who are still so passionate about the vision we’re casting that 12 years later, Impact is what it is. So although now we have staff and our budget is larger, we historically have always and will always be dependent on volunteers. So as it relates to volunteerism, that is one of our successes.
One failure story which was really a learning opportunity is around what it means to literally disciple people to the next level. When you think about churches, most churches do discipleship or should do discipleship, meaning, ‘Hey, I want to be a Christian. I accept Christ and 10 years later, I shouldn’t be in the same place.’ So I don’t call it a failure but an opportunity. It is typical of new churches, meaning we start like gangbusters and then one day, you wake up and you realize, ‘Oh my God, we have to take these people somewhere.’ So that is a constant question for us, ‘How do we take people to a place of Christian maturity while knowing that as a 12-year-old, preteen church, we can’t take people all of the way. But what is that part of the way that God is calling us to? So that’s been an opportunity for us to learn. We don’t always get it right but one day, we hope to say, ‘If you hang out at Impact, this is what you will look like as a Christian.’
How did you galvanize those volunteers?
I was blessed to work at a large church for about five and a half years before we started Impact. While I was there, I built some great relationships and I also built some great relationships in the marketplace who I was able to pull in. And it wasn’t just me. The volunteers invited people so we all pulled in folk. So it was relationships.
What do you mean by “you can’t take people all of the way?”
If you think about a discipleship model in the alphabet, beginning with A and going all the way to Z, some churches will say, we can take you all the way to Z, but that’s really not true. You have to think of a church like a supermarket or another store. Target is great, but they’re not going to sell everything. Wal-Mart is great, but they’re not going to sell everything. And so typically a shopper has to piecemeal their shopping list along the lines of two or three locations. And that’s the reality of where spirituality is in the 21st century. No one church can do everything for one person or should we. But we should be able to know what we do very well.
So when we talk about a discipleship model, that may mean you meet Impact as a seeker, trying to understand who Jesus Christ is and then when you leave Impact, whenever that is, maybe you will have taken a Bible Study or been part of a small group that helps you understand the Bible, that helps you understand prayer, that helps you understand other spiritual disciplines. And then you can go on to another church and go deeper in another spiritual dynamic or in another area and while you’re with them, you’re learning even more than what you learned than when you were with us. But we were a part of that foundational story that helped you get to the next level of your spiritual growth.
So you don’t think a church should try to keep members for their lifetimes?
It depends on the life and stage of the church and the life and stage of the member. For instance, a month ago, I was at a church and they were celebrating their 154th church anniversary. There are some members who have been members of that church for all of their lives and that works for them. But I think the way that culture is shifting because of jobs, because of geography, because folks today don’t mind living in a city two or three years, it’s going to be virtually impossible for healthy, thriving growing churches to say we have lifetime members. We have lifetime support. We have lifetime encouragement. And we have lifetime shared stories but for you to be here your entire life is unlikely and typically if you’re a young adult.
4. Some people are skeptical of megachurches. I’m not sure if Impact is considered a megachurch but it is a large church. For example, my husband was just saying to me that he wonders how some churches grow to megachurch size without some shenanigans being involved or the message of the gospel being compromised somehow. As a church growth expert, do you feel that every church should have thousands of members in order to be healthy?
I don’t. The numerical size does not determine health or vitality of a local church. What most people don’t know is in America, the average size church is 75 people so when you see these large churches and megachurches or gigachurches, those are a minority. They are not the norm. It’s like what you see in the United States of America. It’s mostly made up of these small towns. You’ve got these huge cities like Atlanta but if you travel outside of Atlanta, a lot of America is rural, grassroots people who grow crops, who have industries that literally service the world. And it’s the same thing with the local church. I believe my expertise comes in by saying, ‘I don’t necessarily want you to grow larger for the sake of; I want you to be as healthy as you can be and as vital as you can be. And if you do that, you will reach the world for Jesus Christ.’
But to your husband’s point, I do believe some churches can grow that large without any abnormalities, without anything happening that can be indifferent or bad because there are just some churches and yeah, it’s spiritual and it’s favor, but God’s favor is on every church. Some people think this church is big because God’s favor is on it. No God’s favor is just as present in that church with 80 people but there are just some things that work for that church. It may be a strong lay leader. It may be a strong Sunday School system. It may be a strong small group system.
Or they are just are in the right geography. Sometimes when you watch football, you will see these small towns that have college teams. For instance, you take the University of Georgia. I’m here right now in Michigan and I just passed Notre Dame. Now Notre Dame is a small city, but it has a huge school. And I think sometimes these schools are located in places where there isn’t a pro team presence so that the college team is the pro team and there is a lot invested in that. You can just be in the right community and you’re the only show in town. So by nature of being the only show in town, you’re going to be bigger if you’re healthy.
5. To assess the “health” of a church, you assess culture, hospitality, worship, and technology. Tell me more about this assessment process and the diagnostic tools in the book.
The first thing I do is to come in and get to know the church’s story and that means getting to know their history and their present and then from that you will begin to hear the culture of the church because every church has a culture. Culture may mean very strong pastoral leadership. Culture may mean very strong lay leadership. Culture may mean this is an outreach and missions church. You get to know their stories and their culture.
And then you observe their worship because people can tell you about their worship but you actually have to sit in on their worship. A couple of weeks ago, I was in Florida, sitting in on Sunday morning, on a worship experience at a church. After that, I was able to give some written feedback and oral feedback to the leader of that church or the pastor who will soon be the leader so that he and the other leaders can take that and work through each of those details related to worship and make that more vital.
Technology is more of an Excel spreadsheet where you’re taking inventory of current technology, outdated technology. You’re breaking that into software because a lot of people don’t think about that. And you also break that into hardware. And from that you can address budget decisions and directional path decisions about what we want to look like as a church in technology.
Systems can be broad but one of the things I tell people about systems is that there are open systems and closed systems. And you think about language for instance. Whenever someone stands and gives an announcement and says, ‘Hey, thank you for being a part of church family. We’re glad you’re here.’ Words like that are closed system words meaning when you say family, that means we have everybody we need and we don’t necessarily need new people. So your language is a system and people don’t think about that. So myself and my team leaders will come in as outsiders with neutral opinions, wanting to help and not harm you because we all want to reach people for Jesus Christ.
6. What inspired you to write “Leadership Directions from Moses?” which is described a handy tool for those dealing with the departure of key members from the church.
It doesn’t matter the age or stage of a church, people leave from day 1. The very first Sunday service that we had Impact, some people left afterward. People come with preconceived expectations. And we started in a middle school. And there weren’t any crosses up. There were no stained glass windows. Some people said, ‘This is great for y’all but it’s not for me.’ So people are always leaving and people are always coming.
But I wrote this book for leaders like me who struggle with sharing vision, struggle with delegation and also who struggle with understanding that the same way God speaks to me, God also speaks to other people. So when we read Moses’ story that then leads into Joshua, we always assume at all 12 tribes made it into the Promised Land. But if you read Numbers 32, the Reubenites and the Gadites come to Moses when they are in a geographic area called the Transjordan, they say, ‘Hey Moses, we like where we are.’ Moses makes a compromise and says, ‘Okay, if you help us go fight for the land, then you and your families can come back here.’ So time moves on. Moses dies. Joshua is the new leader. Joshua divides out the land and that’s when Joshua tells those two tribes, you can now return to that place.
What typically happens with leaders is that we demonize people for having a different vision or a different path, and we then only focus on those people who don’t want to go where you feel God has called you to go and those are two fatal mistakes in leadership. Because one, we don’t honor other people’s vision and how they hear God and two, we take our eyes off of the majority of people who still want to move forward and we put all of our emphasis on the minority group of people who don’t necessarily want to move forward. So it works through three critical conversations: self-conversation around self-awareness and self-differentiation, conversation with others around casting vision and helping them understand what God is sharing in your heart, and finally those difficult conversations that we have with God when you’re down and out. Ultimately, we all have a promise and we can get there but we only get there through these difficult conversations.
7. Is there anything else you would like to add?
First of all, thank you for this interview. I do share with groups as I travel and at home, that in spite of all the difficulties with leaders in general, but specifically with leaders of local churches, both clergy and lay people, are facing, this is the greatest evangelistic opportunity of our lifetime. I know we’re seeing a decline in church attendance and more and more people are opting out of religion in general, but I still believe this a great opportunity if we’re willing to reach people in a 21st century way with the same theology we’ve always had but we have to be willing to retool, we have to be willing to reshape and we have to be willing to reach culture where they are and not expect them to walk through our doors and just show up.
For more information about Gentlemen/Ladies Reebok Furylite Women's Shoes Size 9 use Fast delivery high quality productand *RARE* ASICS WOMEN SIZE 11 GEL LYTE 3 III CHAMPAGNE OLYMPIC GOLD RUNNING SHOES and Pastor Olu Brown, go to @pastorolubrown on Vans Old Skool Blocked Pearl & White Shoes Women’s Size 9.5 New and his website olubrown.org.